Thursday, March 29, 2018

Becoming motivated to write again

I have been trying different methods to kick start my lazy self into writing again: Networking, building my social media platform, blogging, and reading multiple books on writing. Thankfully, they seem to be helping. I always enjoy seeing that these authors are just regular folks like you and me. That makes it easier somehow.

Now, I know that the best way to get writing is to start writing and just--you know. Write.

Buuut, it's been a while since I did some hard core writing. I was doing pretty good last fall, and then nothing. Fizzle. Poof.

Kinda depressing, actually.

The last time I was writing with some frequency was a couple summers ago. I was pretty regular but again, I let life distract me,

You know what I miss? Back when I was in a writing group, I felt so inspired. I would get a writing prompt and have a couple weeks to make into something new and amazing. I would start late, after my kids were asleep, and take advantage of the quiet. And BAM! I would get swept up in the writing. My fingers could not go fast enough.
I felt alive.
It was thrilling and almost manic.
And when it was done, it was a little sloppy, but it was beautiful and unique and came so easy.

Then, things shifted.
One member moved on and didn't glance back. He couldn't get away fast enough and I haven't heard from him for years.

Another became insanely successful in her writing career and also insanely busy--so, writing group--Ain't nobody got time for that.

The other is my husband and he and I are about the same, actually I think he's written a bit more tan me lately, but again it's sporadic.

The last few times I've sat down to write, it's after a looong day at my day job--or the other one--or working on my grad work. I just feel blah!
Why not write in the morning, Heather?
 Good question...
I am not a morning person. At. All.
I have woke up early in order write. Or get on the treadmill. Or do yoga.
You know what happens then? I sit, drinking coffee staring blearily at the tv or my computer and get 0 things done. I am a zombie capable of the most minute actions and thoughts. I can barely function and therefore cannot get the oomph to write thoughtful interesting scenes.

But, I am getting the pre-training done. As stated above, I am searching for inspiration. I am cultivating my social presence, I am updating my sites and making them more reader friendly and I am blogging again.

No Blogging is not writing my novel, but it is a baby step to get the juices flowing. The latest book on writing I am reading gave the advice to start small if you've been off the writing horse for a while and begin blogging or journaling or even writing a grocery list...you know. Something. And after you've written these things for a  bit, eventually it'll grease the motor and you can get your novel writing groove back.
So, here I am. Baby stepping the hell outta this blog. And I plan to blog about something everyday for the next couple weeks. Then...
Who knows?
I think I'll finish some of my books that have cooked way to long on the back burner.

No comments:

Post a Comment