Sunday, April 1, 2018

A relaxing Easter



We survived another Easter and another April Fools day.

As usual, we did not celebrate April fools day. I don't have a thing against pranks, really but sometimes they can go askew or take a lot of effort only to fizzle. My oldest kiddo, *Crabbypatty, wanted to devise some truly devious plots, but when she heard us groan. She decided to wait until another time.

We did celebrate Easter, but not in the usual busy/crazy way. Because sickness has been settling over our household for the past few weeks we have been tired and in-between that there has been work also draining our life-energy.

We got up early to watch the children paw through their Easter baskets with glee and then we sent them out into the bitter frosty morn to hunt for special eggs that hubby had woke earlier to hide. We trudged through mud and muck in the still hazy sunlight for a bit before finally giving in to the chill.
The eggs held an assortment of goodies--from candy, to small prizes to some small petty cash. They were thrilled.
Instead of a ham (for multiple convoluted reasons) hubby roasted a turkey and a roast. When hubby commented on the abnormally huge neck, our youngest *Turkeybutt blithely commented, "Oh, so it's a male turkey."
We were caught completely by surprise and speechless for a few seconds until hubby started giggling. I yelled after her as she strolled away (unaware of how her comment affected us) "No. It's not a male. That's the neck!" Which made hubby laugh harder.
That was a major highlight of the day.

For our Easter treat. Me and hubby took a nap while the food cooked in the oven. Then we had a yummy sit-down, casual  meal and then spent the rest of the time mostly relaxing. (I did do some dishes and finish folding the laundry) We caught up on most of our shows
and I finished the rest of the writing advise book I had been reading.

Now we're getting ready to blast back into the real world. My oldest goes back to school tomorrow. My youngest has 2 mandatory chats before continuing her schooling. My hubby will most likely get called in to sub. And I have an appointment with a family member(that I haven't seen in months) and a +1 to do a couple haircolors.

Then life will keep scootching along and before I know it the weekend that me and hubby will be away, just the two of us, will be here. We only have 2 weeks and then we will be LARPing(Live Action Role Playing. Kinda like D&D but in real life--no table top), running through the woods and having a great time.
I am excited for it because it has been 9 years since we have gone out of town for more than a few hours without the kids. I'm also nervous, as I always am whenever I am away from my kids that long. Yes, I am a paranoid parent that sometimes helicopters if I don't check myself. But you would not believe how skilled my kids can be at hurting themselves  in the most unorthodox ways.
I mean, my oldest *Crabbypatty siced open her chin on a bed post. She had stitches. And a few years ago, my youngest, *Turkeybutt had an entire mozzarella stick stuck in her throat. I had to literally reach in and slowly pull it out because the Heimlich and whacking her back over my arm did not work.
So--you know. Paranoid. They are spending 2 nights at their best friend's houses.
Buuut, worrying won't stop things from happening. All it does is bring more stress and ruin the present, so, I will think positive, happy thoughts. Go have fun with hubby and come back exhausted most likely.

Have you ever LARPed?

No comments:

Post a Comment