Monday, October 26, 2020

Day 6 Life is a mess right now. That's why I'm focusing on positivity


    Everyone will tell you that 2020 is a shit show on so many fronts. 

Just a recap on some of the things:

*All the fires. From Australia to the west coast of the U.S.A

*The corona virus that is getting worse as we head into flu season

*The people fighting about masks versus no masks

*The mess of George Flloyd and his horrible death followed by large gatherings (from peaceful to mobs and riots) during the lock down put into place to try to slow the spread of the virus. 

*The fighting about politics between people who used to be friends or family, and now there are horrible breaks for various reasons.

*The many celebrity deaths

*The stock market crashing 

*People struggling financially and the people who can help too worried about one upping each other over the bills to actually get people the help they need.

*The depression, loneliness and suicides that spiked during lock down.

*Schools being a mess. 

*Jobs are also a mess.

*And the constant anxiety and fear of all of these thing.

    I know I've probably missed a few things but I was listing these off the top of my head. 

    Just listing these brings on a sense of overwhelming hugeness of the bad shit, ya know?

I've decided that I want to focus on the bright side, as best I can. It's easy to brood on the bad and gnash my teeth and cry into my pillow, but I don't want to feel like that all the time. I want to be (somewhat) at peace or as close as I can get. 

    I have been posting to my social media, but it has usually been funny memes, a photo I took, or sharing these blog posts that I'm working on everyday in preparation. Some days I don't stay on social media because there are so many angry butt-hurt people snapping and snarling at each other. Over any of the above things. Politics being one of the biggest as the election is only a couple weeks away.

    It's not that I want to bury my head in the sand and be ignorant, but I have friends and family that keep abreast of the situation. I see things in the short time I pop onto my social media. I read things and hubby watches different news. So, I do know what's happening, but I need a break for my mental health. 

    So, I have been writing. I have been rereading a favorite series. I play scrabble go and can tell when I'm off. I've done some Yoga and plan to walk more once again. And I have had some great conversations with my kids, hubby, parents and some friends on the phone about nearly anything but gloom and doom.

    Most days, it works and I am able to enjoy the positives in my life. Some days the stress, depression and anxiety swamp me and suffocate me. Thankfully it usually ebbs before too long. I go to bed and sleep hard and generally it's a good reset.

    No. I won't put my political views on my pages. No, I won't fight over masks vs no masks. No I won't argue over unemployment vs those working. No I won't talk about money or stocks or federal help. etc.. you get it. Partly it's for my own peace of mind. Partly it's from years of conditioning as a hairstylist (we were taught no  talking about topics of conflict; politics, religion, sports, and sex).

    Hopefully, I can keep up the optimism and keep myself sane and content-ish.

    What are some of the things you have done to deal with this crazy world? Are you a fighter or a peacemaker? Are you doing anything for self care? What are some good things you focus on?

No comments:

Post a Comment